Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, we can custom make pieces using any of our beautifully handcrafted motifs in gold or silver. If you have seen something on our website or Facebook page that you like but it has sold, is not the right size or needs some adjustments we can help.
When creating a custom piece we will need to know the following:
- Is it a ring, bangle, cuff, pendant etc?
- Would you like gold or silver?
- Will it be worn everyday or just on special occasions?
- What is the overall size of the piece?
- Is there anything you don’t want in the design?
- What is width of the design?
- What should be included in the design?
- Do you have a budget in mind?
- Would you like a diamond or a gold rivet added?
- When do you need your custom order?
If all this seems a little daunting, don’t worry, we can help you decide on each element for your custom order.
We can add a Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire or a gold rivet to your existing piece of John Miller Design Jewellery. Prices start from $110 and it can be done while you have a coffee at the local cafe. Contact us to find out more.
If you are seeking a truly original and unique engagement or wedding ring, then we can help. We can custom make mens and ladies wedding and engagement rings in 18ct white, yellow or rose gold. We carry a selection of sparkling diamonds in a range of colours to suit any budget, and can source stones to your particular requirements. If you are after something less traditional we also have stunning sapphires and rubies to choose from. For over 43 years, John Miller Design has made countless rings for that special day. If you have an idea of what you would like created just let us know, or we can help you with the design process. We use 18ct and 22ct gold for all wedding and engagement rings, as 9ct gold is less resistant to everyday abrasion and we prefer not to use it. Thinking about the items below may help you get started.
- What colour gold would you like?
- Will the ring be wide or narrow?
- Do you need a matching wedding ring with the engagement ring?
- Will you need complementary rings for both partners?
- What size will the ring be?
- Will it have a diamond, ruby or sapphire or perhaps a combination?
- Will it incorporate some of our motifs, fusing or engraving?
The Gemmologial Institute of America has an article on enagement rings that may be helpful:
Getting the right size for your custom order is vital to ensure a comfortable and secure fit. Cuffs, bangles and rings all need to be carefully sized prior to ordering. There are a few ways to go about getting a size but the more accurate you can be the better. The easiest way is to come into either our Yallingup or Margaret River Galleries and ask for a size. If you are unable to make it in, here are a few tips:
- To get a measurement for a cuff, measure across the top of the wrist at the bone with a ruler.
- Cuffs start at about 52mm and can be made up to any size. 58mm is average for ladies and 65mm for men.
- Our cuffs can be adjusted slightly to make them bigger or smaller.
- To get a measurement for a bangle measure the inside diameter of an existing bangle.
- Measure around the widest part of a closed hand with a measuring tape.
- Ring sizing is best left to the professionals. Come and see us or go to your local jeweller.
- A wide ring will generally be a larger size than a narrow ring on the same finger.
- We use alphabetic rings sizes in Australia and measure from the leading edge.
- String, ribbon and strips of paper are not accurate ways of measuring due to variation in material width and thickness. If you are not sure please feel free to contact the gallery on 08 9756 6336 and we can assist you further.
Please note: We require 4-6 weeks to complete custom orders.
If you need something sooner please contact the gallery on 08 9756 6336 and we will do our best to assist. All orders require a 20% deposit prior to commencement
To keep your piece of John Miller Design jewellery looking its best:
- Wear your jewellery regularly. The movement against your skin helps keep tarnish away.
- Store your jewellery in separate boxes or pouches to prevent surfaces scratching or rubbing.
- Carefully store jewellery when travelling.
- Avoid contact with chemicals such as bleach or chlorine based cleaners.
- Remove jewellery when swimming in pools or spas.
- Keep diamonds sparkling with a toothbrush and warm soapy water.
- Avoid abrasives and never clean jewellery with toothpaste.
- Regularly check clasps and chains for signs or wear.
- Inspect any claws on stones to ensure they are still tight.
If you are visiting the Yallingup gallery please feel free to bring in your John Miller Design piece for a complimentary polish.
The Gemmologial Institute of America has a helpful article on jewellery care: